pcmcia issues/Xircom/D-Link

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat May 15 00:42:31 UTC 2004

I have a Dell Latitude CPx laptop loaded with FC1 latest patches.

Previously posted regarding the D-Link DWL-650 card (no luck there
yet).

Ran into another odd one.  Last night when I loaded the system I popped
my Xircom card into the pcmcia slot and everything configured and setup
correctly.  Was then able to apply the patches.

After reboot I was not able to get on the network.  More to the point
the card appeared to be configured, had pulled an IP address and was
marked active but it would not talk on the network.  Nothing out and
nothing in.  Link integrity to the switch showed good.

Just now I shutdown, pulled the card, booted up, inserted the card, and
now it works.

I vaguely recall a something from the list regarding a similar problem
but have not been able to find it.  The only hint I have is that it
appears the interface tries to come up before the pcmcia stuff is
initialized during start up.  At least that is what the messages look
like.  Tried to confirm that by going through the boot.log and dmesg but
those do not appear to have the full startup sequence.

What is interesting is that the card appears to get DHCP information but
after that it does not pass any information.

Any ideas?

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>