ntoskrnl.exe

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Tue May 18 12:38:41 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 18.05.2004 schrieb xyzzy at hotpop.com um 13:34:
> > Seems to be a known, but yet unresolved problem.
>
> This is seriously bad news.  Why is this being released if it destroys the
> ability to dual-boot??  This is a show-stopper and must be fixed before being
> released.

Has been discussed in the afore mentioned thread very extensively. Fact
is that the problem is bound to a special, but not exactly known
combination of hardware. Most users are not affected. And the problem
came up very late in the test process.

> This is going to bring the perceived quality level of FOSS down to
> what the FUDders are screaming about.

I think nobody is happy about it. But there are well known operating
systems which had the same problem some times ago - probably by
intention (in contrast to Red Hat). There is no reason to specifically
blame FOSS. And the Fedora Project does not aim to the computer novize
or windows user. Those people, who may have a lot of trouble to recover
from that fault, shouldn't use Fedora, but probably Red Hat Workstation
or one of the other distros (Mandrake is a good choice).

> Is this the intention?

As said before - no reason for so much excitement.

Peter