ntoskrnl.exe

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue May 18 15:40:27 UTC 2004

Sean Estabrooks wrote:

>On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:04:56 -0700 (PDT)
>boby <bobysandz at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>I installed fedora after i had installed win2000
>>and now i get error when i want to start win2000 from
>>grub boot loader .following line is from my grub.conf
>>should i recover from windows recovery console or i
>>should change some thing in grub conf.
>>
>>title WINDOWS 2000
>>        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>>        chainloader +1
>>
>>and here is my partition table :
>>/dev/hda1   *      1461      3500  16386300    c
>>Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
>>/dev/hda2          3501      4866  10972395   a5
>>FreeBSD
>>/dev/hda3             1        26    208813+  83
>>Linux
>>/dev/hda4            27      1460  11518605    5
>>Extended
>>/dev/hda5            27        91    522081   82
>>Linux swap
>>/dev/hda6            92      1460  10996461   83
>>Linux
>>
>>thanks for help
>>

>Hi,
>
>This seems to be a known problem but i'm not sure of the proper fix.
>Would you please test the following two changes and let us know if either
>of them work or not:
>
>Modify the rootnoverify line above to:
>
>rootnoverify (hd0, 3)
>
>and if that doesn't work please try:
>
>rootnoverify (hd0,4)
>
>Hope this helps.
>Sean.

You are telling him to try to boot from the extended partition ---> no
way, not a filesystem here.
Then you have him try the linux swap partition --> even worse.

(hd0,0) is hda1 (FAT32)
(hd0,1) is hda2 )FreeBSD)
(hd0,2) is hda3 (Linux)
(hd0,5) is hda5 (Linux)
These are the only possible choices, and his Windows 2000 can only
possibly reside on hda1 or hda2 (probably on hda1).

He is trying to boot Windows 2000 which should be NTFS and the partition
table shows it as FAT32.
This may be the problem, and if he allowed the system to do an
auto-partition when installing it may have corrupted the partition table.
A corrupt partition table may prevent recovery.

Is this a triple boot machine?  hda2 shows as FreeBSD, hda1 shows as
FAT32, and hda3 & 6 show as linux with hda5 showing as linux swap.
Which partition are you  booting Linux from?  I assume the MBR contains
GRUB, but either hda3 or hda6 must be the boot partition.