CUPS driver for Windows?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue May 18 17:53:44 UTC 2004

At 02:23 5/18/2004, Chris Kloiber wrote:
>On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 12:45, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me where to find the appropriate CUPS Driver for
> Windows to
> > install on FC1?
>
>Since it's a Windows system you are trying to connect, it's the Windows
>printer driver that needs to be sent to the client. It's like making the
>manufacturer's install CD available to the Windows system. I have never
>done it myself, but I know it's possible.

This is my first time doing it, but I've found you are incorrect (as I
was). It is *not* the standard Windows driver for that printer which is
sent. Rather, it is an optimized PostScript driver for CUPS that is sent.
That way, *any* printer you configure on Windows prints PostScript to CUPS,
which then rasterizes the job properly for the printer. This way you get to
use most or all the options for your printer (duplex, n-up, whatever) but
the core driver is the same.

I love it... now, if I could just find it. :-)

I *have* checked FC2 and the 5.0rc3 driver posted on the CUPS site will
work with it since the driver requires cups-1.1.20 at least and that is
what FC2 includes. However, it seems silly to me to only have one driver
which is so bleeding-edge that it requires as a minimum a package which is
just now being included in a new distro and which is *not* included in FC1
or several others.

I've just now (a few minutes ago) found a cups-1.1.16 Windows driver on the
EasySW site (their commercial stuff) but I don't know whether it will work.
Will post more when I know it.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz