Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a Good Thing [tm]

Luc Bouchard luc at luker.on.ca
Tue May 18 20:26:14 UTC 2004

Jonathan Rawle said:
> The nvidia drivers are great, but just wait until you have Fedora Core 2
> then try to install them. (Starting X will lock your machine up, so that
> you have to press the reset switch).
>
> If the drivers were open source, lots of people could work and soon fix this
> problem. In fact, they would probably be part of Fedora Core so you
> wouldn't have to install them separately at all.
>
> As things are, who knows when nvidia will release updated drivers that work
> with FC2.
>
> Jonathan

This is an argument that just doesn't wash with me.  When Windows XP was released to PC
manufacturers 30 days prior to the official release, several of my friends had plenty of
hardware that no longer worked. And the answer from the hardware vendors was wait till
after XP is officially released and we'll post new drivers.  In some cases they ended
waiting 2 months to get their hardware to work.  So Linux is not the only platform to
suffer like this.

Luc Bouchard