Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a BAD Thing [tm]

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Wed May 19 16:10:23 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 12:05 pm, alan wrote:
> Until a vendor that makes a fast 3d video card decides to open source
> drivers, we are pretty much stuck with the situation.  (Unless someone
> wants to reverse engineer the chipset.)
>
> I don't see it happening soon.

Apparently you've never heard of ATI. Their Linux drivers are all open
source and it appears that they are actively cooperating with the community
and trying to push X and Linux integration forward. While they aren't
disclosing trade secrets they aren't at liberty to disclose, they are
giving enough information legally that the developers can figure out those
secrets or develop their own solutions.

I have been using ATI cards for several years, and as long as I use older
hardware (7000 series nowadays), Linux works fabulously with them, even 3D
acceleration. Today, you can buy ATI cards for cheap from Taiwanese and
Chinese manufacturers. I think they pay ATI for the right to either make
the chip themselves or to sell the card with their chipset on it. They sell
well because frankly they are more than sufficient for business machines
and my home linux network.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner at jonathangardner.net