Promise RAID under Fedora Core 2?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Wed May 19 19:12:16 UTC 2004

    Has anyone successfully setup a RAID 1 mirror on a PC
that uses the Promise PDC20378 chipset on a Tyan Trinity
i875p motherboard? We have been able to use the proprietary
Linux driver from Promise with RedHat Enterprise 3WS Linux
fine here. However according to Promise this proprietary
driver will not be developed past Linux 2.4. Also my understanding
is that the RAID format differs from the open-source version
making it impossible to upgrade from the proprietary RAID drivers.
I know that the first test release of Core2 was unable to
recognize the Promise RAID 1 drives and am worried this will
still be the case with the current Core 2 release of Fedora.
Thanks in advance for any information.
                            Jack Howarth