Fedora Core 2 weird Xkb & mouse problem

Rami Saarinen rs55862 at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 22:32:06 UTC 2004

I just updated from FC 1 to FC 2. Everything else seems to be pretty much
ok, but I have hard time getting the keyboard and mouse to work ok in X11.

I have a Logitech MouseMan USB wheelmouse and I used to use it in PS/2
with an adapter. However once I updated to FC2 the mouse stopped working
and I changed it back to "Generic USB wheelmouse" (after taking off the
adapter and plugging the mouse in USB). Now the mouse works ... in a way.
It moves ok, wheel is ok, most of the buttons do what they are supposed to
do *but* the left mouse button is acting weird: it can be used to select
things from the panel (KDE) otherwise, for example when clicking inside a
window, it will drag that window. In most cases (with some difficulty in
Mozilla with links) I can bypass it pressing down the (left, at least)
shift and the clicking inside window. Not a good solution I think.

The keyboard is ah-so-normal Key Tronic board with 105 keys. It has worked
fine before.

If I switch on Gnome, I get an error

"Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
60700000

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb

"

xprop stuff says:
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc102", "fi", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc102", "fi", "", ""

and gconftool-2 says:
layouts = [fi]
 model = pc105
 overrideSettings = false
 options = []

Note that I have fooled around trying different layouts, hence the pc102
above.. I does not help. But what does help is to turn on the

  Option  "XkbDisable"

but then I'll lack some functionality I have become used to and as such it
can't be a solution.

XFConfig InputDevice stuff looks like:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "fi"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Any ideas? I am pretty much in a dead-end by myself so any kind of
pointers  are appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

--
Rami Saarinen