Fedora Core 2 - Can't get mail, download or browse web pages

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu May 20 08:38:45 UTC 2004

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> Here's the problem: to all appearances, I can (using Kppp) connect to
> the internet like always have.  I even can "connect" at the speeds that
> I usually connect at (45333 and 49000)  Problem is, I cannot load any
> web pages (I've tried Konqueror, Mozilla and Lynx) or get my mail
> (Sylpheed)

> Here are a few lines from when I ran "ping" on my internet providers
> address, followed by the summary line:
>
> PING 12.148.211.65 (12.148.211.65) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from 12.148.211.65: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=89.7 ms
> --- 12.148.211.65 ping statistics ---
> 112 packets transmitted, 111 received, 0% packet loss, time 111137ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 84.994/92.441/307.962/21.718 ms, pipe 2
>
> As you can see, all of the packets were received.
>
> Also, as an experiment, I chose to not configure a firewall.  This had
> no effect on the problem.  Still can't load websites or check mail.

OK, if you can ping your ISP then the connection's OK.  There are still
a couple of simple things to check

1) Can you ping an IP address other than your ISP?  If not then the
problem is probably that your default gateway hasn't been set.

When you are connected run "/sbin/route -n" and check that there is a
default gatway entry.  For your system there should be an entry which
reads (the second IP address should match the IP at the ISP end of your
ppp connection):

0.0.0.0   12.148.211.65    0.0.0.0      UG   0    0     0 ppp0

If this isn't, there then that's your problem.  This should be added by
ppp when you connect, but you can try manually adding it with

/sbin/route add default gw 12.148.211.65

2) If you can ping an external IP address, can you ping an address by
name?  If not then it's probably a DNS problem.

When you're connected check /etc/resolv.conf and see that there are some
nameserver entries.  Check these against your working configuration and
see if there's anything different.

Hope this gets you a bit further.

Simon.