Thoughts and Questions On Yum, Up2Date. Etc.

billg billg at f-m.fm
Thu May 20 23:21:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 00:32:48 +0200, "Davy Brion" <ralinx at pandora.be>
said:
> On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 23:50, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
> > >i know most of us dislike microsoft, but as much as we dislike them, you
> > >have to give them credit for making things easy for _normal_ users.
> > >

> > and for viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, addware, ...
>
> providing the necessary tools so users don't need to edit config files
> does not mean opening the door for viri, worms, trojans, spyware,
> addware

and yada yada....

Isn't the salient point of Windows Update the fact that the updates are
always pulled down from a server controlled by Microsoft? The user can't
point the update tool willy-nilly at unvetted sites.  That alone is a
Good Thing.  The fact that it is packaged as an easy-to-use web page is
gratis.

If Linux ever becomes popular enough to warrant attention by the same
folks currently targetting Windows, then allowing users to mix-and-match
the repositories from which they pull their updates is a wonderful way to
spread viruses, worms and all the rest.