dhclient failure, IPv4 vs. IPv6, on FC2?

Joe Christy joe at eshu.net
Thu May 20 23:10:30 UTC 2004

I just did a clean install of FC2 on my IBM T21, and now I can't get
networking going.

It appears that ifup-eth? is failing tryimg to retrieve its IP address
from DHCP:

dhclient: sit0: unknown hardware address type 776

I see this with both the onboard intel pro100 (eth0) and my Lucent
silver card (eth1).

This morning, pre-install, it was working fine under FC1. I even did the
  install via NFS, booting from the FC2 rescue CD, which used dhcp and
the onboard ethernet successfully.

I ran ethereal on my dhcp server and it is getting the requests from the
eth0 Mac address and replying. I don't see any requests from the eth1
MAC address.

When I do an ifconfig -a I see 4 interfaces up:
eth0, eth1, lo, and sit0, which appears to be an IPv6=in-IPv4 tunnel.
The only packets are passing across the loopback. The MAC addresses of
eth0 and eth1 are correct, but neither has an IP address (consistent
with the dhclient failure) though, curiously, both have IPv6 addresses.

My DHCP server is FreeBSD 4.9 running ISC-dhcpd-3.0.1.r12.

Has anyone else seen this? Or better yet, have a solution?

	Joe