Fedora Core 2 Windows XP Partition Magic

John Chapman chapmanj at myrealbox.com
Fri May 21 00:07:24 UTC 2004

I have a computer with an athlon xp 2400, gigabyte motherboard, and more
importantly 2 western digital 80gb drives (ide).  I had Windows XP on a
fat32 partition on the first drive.  I used partitionmagic to create the
linux partitions the way i wanted them.  When I installed Fedora Core 2
and used grub as the boot loader windows xp would no longer boot.  After
installing partition magic would not read the master boot record and i
could only get to my data through a dos boot disk.  Fedora would run
fine.  Why did Fedora destroy the windows xp boot loader (fedora core 1
would allow me to use grub to boot windows xp) and why wont partition
magic read my partitions?

If anyone could help me it would be appreciated.

john Chapman