XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri May 21 01:52:56 UTC 2004

At 19:29 5/20/2004, William M. Quarles wrote:
>Who made the not-very-bright decision of choosing X.org over XFree86 for
>Fedora Core 2, and WHY?

Because someone made the not-very-bright decision of changing XFree86's
license, and the new, more-restrictive license was found not to meet the
objectives and principles of the Fedora Project. If you don't like it, I
suggest you actually investigate the issue and constructively propose a
different course of action. Ranting on this list will not get you anything,
really.

>I thought Fedora Core was going to be less corporate and more open now
>that Red Hat is no longer making Red Hat Linux.  Apparently that isn't the
>case.

Even my own *very primitive* reading of the old and new XFree86 licenses
indicates that it is the license which is becoming less open. Fedora is
demanding openness. Yet you complain that Fedora is not open enough and
find no problem with the license for XFree86 being changed. I'd appreciate
some more detail (and some less ranting and some more reasoning) on your
position... at this point, although I'm certainly no expert, I don't grok you.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com