FC2 final on dell d600

Skahan, Vince vince.skahan at boeing.com
Fri May 21 03:49:31 UTC 2004

Some bugs in my cdrom install of FC2 on a Dell d600 laptop, all worked
around, but one was a bit scary for a few minutes...

1. Got bitten by the multiboot XP Pro bug, successfully installed FC2 in
a full install, reformatting the previous partitions and starting
cleanly.  The reboot hung at the grub 'loading stage2' and never
responded.  I fixed it by booting 'linux rescue', mounting the partition
read-write with 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' as per the instructions the
rescue boot provided, and re-running "grub-install" which returned quite
quickly, far faster than I'd seen before.  The subsequent reboots work
fine.

In 20/20 hindsight I wish I'd tarred up the /boot/grub tree before and
after and compared them just in case perhaps the grub installation from
anaconda wasn't completed during the installation, but now that it's
working, I'll have to leave that for somebody else to think of when it's
their turn :-)

2. Couldn't get the Dell TrueMobile 1400 a/b/g card to work with
ndiswrapper-0.6, trying to configure it with iwconfig locks the laptop
up totally, needed to pull the battery to shut it down.  The new
driverloader (linuxant.com) worked flawlessly the first time and every
time so far, I installed the i686 version for FC2 from their site.

3. Xwindows works better than test-2, I told it LCD 1280x1024 even
though the display can do 1400x1280 (but my eyes can't), and it looks
quite nice.

-- vince.skahan at boeing.com -- Cabin Network --
             connexion by Boeing sm
           www.connexionbyboeing.com