sound

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri May 21 04:42:11 UTC 2004

Adam Williams wrote:

> run xmixer or kimix, do you have the cd audio turned up or all the way
> down?
>
> ivaldes2 at bellsouth.net wrote:
>
>> i run fc1 updated to kernel .2188. my laptop has a builtin dvd-cdrom
>> and an external usb iomega cdrw. the dvd-cdrom works fine when i play
>> a music cd,including sound, the iomega runs fine but can't get sound
>> when i play a cd. the sound card is correctly detected by the
>> sndconfig tool. how can this be corrected?
>> both units are in the /etc/fstab file. thanks for ur help in advance.

The usb attached drive will not provide analogue audio because there
will be no physical audio connection back to the laptop.

The only way to do it is via a program which reads the audio track
digitally. This is the way Windows Media Player does it on XP, which in
theory gives better sound quality. Also you DO NOT need the analogue
cable connected inside the case to use it.

Don't know if Linux has such a player though. Anyone know?

Regards,
Ed.