Strange error adding a second hard disk

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Fri May 21 12:54:46 UTC 2004

My setup consists of a hard disk as the primary master, and a CD
drive as the secondary master.

I have another hard disk on another machine. On that machine, this
hard disk was a secondary master. Grub was on the primary master, but
that disk is now caput, and the CD-ROM drive on that machine won't
boot either a RH9 CD or an FC2 CD. So I think that is caput too.

So I think, in order to get at the data on the (presumed) good disk, I
will move it to my main machine. I changed the jumper position to turn
it into a slave, and I cabled it up as the primary slave.

Powering up, the BIOS recognised the disk, but when linux booted from
the primary master, it seemed to bring / up as read-only (there were
messages such as couldn't re-write /etc/fstab as the system is
read-only).

So I tried switching it to the secondary controller (as a slave behind
the CD drive). This time, the bios did not recognise the presence of a
second hard disk, but otherwise I get the same problem.

So I have un-plugged the power to the disk, and boot-up is again fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening here?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire