stable Fedora releases?

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Fri May 21 14:30:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:18:05 -0400 (EDT)
howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu (Jack Howarth) wrote:

>     Okay, up front I realize that Fedora is a hobbyist release...
> but the same could be said of Debian. With that said, is there
> any plan in place for eventually having a benchmark stable Fedora
> release which would be equivalent to the Stable branch of Debian?
> I ask because it is unclear if one will be able to install a Core
> release and get access to the proper security patches without
> constantly upgrading Fedora to the point of it reverting back to
> a Test release (for the next Core of course). I know in the
> academic environment many folks are looking at Fedora as a successor
> to RedHat 9 but I am afraid it is more likely to be a Debian
> Unstable type release at best.
>                    Jack

In brief, there is no concept of a stable branch of Fedora.   Each
release will be followed by a limited period of updates from Fedora
Core.   A community initiative known as Fedora Legacy hopes to
provide updates for each release on a somewhat longer basis after
that.

There are many details provided on http://fedora.redhat.com.
The page that compares RedHat offerings is illuminative.

All the best,
Sean.