Thoughts and Questions On Yum, Up2Date. Etc.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri May 21 17:17:09 UTC 2004

billg wrote:

> My point was, and is, that if RedHat ever intends to sell a shrinkwrapped
> retail product they can't expect those customers to start editing config
> files in order to make their updating tool work.  If they click on an
> icon and nothing happens in 2 or 3 minutes, they'll assume it is broken.

I like both yum and up2date and have configured both to work rather
well.  They sort of work together with the right configuration but I
feel changes could be made at a basic level to start off with.

1.  Supply a sources that is already configured for access to mirrors.
   This could speed up2date for many if not all users.

2.  Work to sync up2date and yum configuration files.  One file for
both or a simple script that will combine both to cover both packages.

3.  Combine and use the same spool directories.  I haven't checked to
see if this is possible in the configuration files.

4.  Same header file formats in the same directories so all headers
are viewable to both packages.

Here is a review about installing FC2 that is relevant to this
discussion.  I have started another thread on this review.
<http://www.linuxlookup.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=59>

--
Robin Laing