FC2 install questions

mis at natlmktg.com mis at natlmktg.com
Fri May 21 20:34:15 UTC 2004

Hi all.  I have a couple of questions related to Fedora Core 2 installs.

First, I have a box with no CD-ROM drive that's running FC1.  I'd like to
upgrade it to FC2.  I read somewhere that there's a way to run the install
if I copy the ISOs to the machine's hard drive, but I couldn't find any
documentation on how that would work exactly.  (The machine does have a
diskette drive, so I could boot from diskette if need be.)

Second, I have a machine at home that I want to dual-boot XP and FC2.  I
installed FC2 on it last night, but I didn't install grub, because the
installer reported a problem with my boot sector, and I didn't want to
risk screwing it up.  I thought I would be prompted to create a boot disk
at the end of the install, as has been common with previous versions of
RedHat/Fedora, but I wasn't.  Either that, or I zoned and just clicked
past it.  Either way, can I boot from CD 1 or the rescue CD and create a
boot disk after the fact?

In general, I haven't found a good guide for Fedora installation.  I just
ordered Fedora Unleashed from Amazon, and I'm hoping that has some useful
information, but if anyone knows of a good install/upgrade guide for
Fedora out there on the net someplace, please let me know where it is!

Thanks for any help!