Samba vs NFS

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sat May 22 01:12:56 UTC 2004

Hi Guys,

	I have a problem. I want to access a shared directory over a WAN link.

There are 2 methods available to me, NFS and Samba.

Problem is the Client is a Linux Box, and somehow the idea of using
samba as a means to an end instead of NFS is a little bit weird (?).

But anyway, I tried both and it seems that I have more success using
samba to mount the share rather than using NFS.

NFS always reports a time-out connecting the server. Yes, there is a
200ms lag in ping times to the server box (WAN link)

However, Samba seems to be able to handle it more gracefully than NFS.

Ideas?? Comments??