XKB error, but only for root

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sat May 22 14:53:51 UTC 2004

When I start an X session for root, I get

  Error Activating XKB configuration
  Probably internal X server problem

# xprop -root |grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc105", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc105", "us", "", ""

The keyboard is a standard Dell keyboard.

I've tried deleting all of the .g* directories in /root, as well as Desktop
and all other GUI candidates. On restarting X, I get the above error 8 times!

This is not a problem when I log into a non-root account.

There's obviously something left over from FC1, but I'm not sure what else to
remove.

--
   Steve