Adobe Acrobat Mozilla

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat May 22 16:05:02 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 20, Wolfgang Gill did say:

> On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:35:04 -0400 (EDT), Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote
<snip>
> > If anyone knows how to get mozilla to tell the bank it has the adobe
> > plugin, and then route the pdf to the default application. I'd love
> > to hear it <grin>
>
> I'm not sure whether this would be relevant. But I think the launch of Pdf's
> are a result of the file type settings. I noticed that most config's are setup
> to use XPDF as default. But if it has been removed (or not installed for that
> matter), then one gets a blank page. As I don't use xpdf etc, and only
> Acrobat, I remove all the other entries and leave acoread in it's place. With
> that done, any links to pdf's launch acroread without problems.
>
> Wolf

Thanks for the suggestion Wolf. I DO use those other pdf viewers
however... In fact, normaly the adobe reader is the LAST one I want. With
the others I can at least use keyboard shortcuts to do things like zoom
in so I can read the fine print. Adobe has working icons and what looks
like a keyboard accessible menu with choices that even list keyboard
shortcuts. But it doesn't listen to those said shortcuts such as
ctrl++ = zoom in nor  ctrl+2 = fit width And I can't find a key
combination that will open the menu choices labeled:

_F_ile  _E_dit  _D_ocument  _V_iew  _W_indow               _H_elp

And given the underline characters I started with Alt+V, Alt+F,
etc...

Still most of the time I use the command line or midnight commander or
even pine to open a pdf and they don't use the same file association file
anyway... And not really knowing a better reason for it to fail, I
focused on the fact that the output seams to want me to get an plugin
that I shouldn't need, and I think is covered by acroread installed from
dag by yum...

According to the file association help, it's not necessary to eliminate
the other entries... When I move the adobe reader choice to the top of
the list, mozilla will use adobe to open a pdf file from the gnupg
web page. But still fails to work with that link from my bank. I viewed
the page source ( much of it was over my head ) But when I searched the
source for pdf it only found it in this quoted function:

function openCheckImage(data)
{
//Add "type=pdf" if it is a PDF file (not sure where in the AXIS file)
// CheckImage will key off of the PDF extention and change it's output type.

	checkImageFile = "CheckImage.cgi?data=" + data;

	popup = window.open(checkImageFile,"checkImage","resizable,scrollbars,toolbar,height=,width=");

	return false;
}

Then When I clicked on that link to get the semi blank page that claims
I need the plugin I get this:

			<embed src="ImageRequestor.cgi?data={long datastring snipped}" border=0

			type="application/pdf"
			width="600"
			height="300"

Like I said in my 1st post, I think the banks page is the problem Not
mozilla or xpdf or even the adobe reader... But since the bank isn't
likely to listen to an out of work former fork truck operator about
what's wrong with their web page, I was hoping for a work around...

Thanks anyway...

- --