BIOS won't boot to CD-ROM: Workaround

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat May 22 21:46:14 UTC 2004

I ran into a small problem trying to install FC2 on an ancient machine
(it was surplused out by the Romans when they left Britain...). FC2
doesn't come with floppy images for installing, and the BIOS on this
thing won't boot to CD-ROM, only hard drive or floppy.

I tried faking it out by booting from a mess-dos partition with
loadlin, but loadlin didn't like the kernel; something about the
compression type.

However, I did find an elegant little workaround: install Smart Boot
Manager on a floppy. It booted the CD-ROM
nicely. http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

Enjoy!

Could future releases include, or refer to, Smart Boot Manager for
this purpose?