[FC2] Character set problem, still there :(

Sat May 22 22:17:18 UTC 2004

Hello :)

I was hoping in switching to FC2 to stop having those charset problems
but, it seems my quest is not over!

Let me explain the problem:
- I created files under Win 95,98,ME and XP, which include french
characters in their names such as é,è,à, etc...
- When I was using MDK or Knoppix I was able to see them correctly as
they were still on a Win partition of my HDD.
- For the last 14-15 months, I deleted all the Windows partitions I was
having to use ONLY linux and I consequently copied all those files from
a Windows partition to a linux one ext3.

Now when I try to see a file which has french characters , the displayed
name is: (for instance)
     Mon beau p?re et moi.avi (invalid Unicode)
When it should be
     Mon beau pére et moi.avi

Oh I forgot an important thing, I always use linux in English... I don't
like how computer software looks in French...

This invalid characters problem is really annoying, in some software the
files do not even appear like in MythTv, I cannot listen those mp3.

Then I had a mad idea, rename all those problematic files to get them
working... Sounds great, doesn't it? erm.... No! Because if I try to
upload those files on my portable MP3 player an iRiver, I got characters
problem...

What can I do? Is there a way to modify or rather convert all those old
file to UTF-8 format or to a format that will solve all those problems??

Any advice or tips or whatever is welcome

Ludo
P.s: Thxs to those who read this very long email! :)
http://www.lubox.com - http://forum.lubox.com
Email Services, How-To (Linux,PHP,...),...
Come have a look, and you can even drop a msg on the forum!
--
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on i686 CPU kernel 2.6.5-1.358
@ 00:16:18 up 1 day, 10:52,  3 users,  load average: 2.29, 2.31, 2.36