FC2 FTP install (Ben Levin)

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Sat May 22 22:24:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 11:02:26PM +0300, Jonathan B. Horen wrote:
> I got some assistance from Jason L Tibbitts about this; here are the steps:
>
> 1. Download the "vmlinuz" and "initrd.img" files from one of the many FC/2
>    mirrors -- they are located in:
>
>    /2/core/i386/os/isolinux/ (or similar /core/2 location)
>
>    move the files to /boot on your workstation
>
> 2. Add the following entry to your grub.conf file:
>
>    title Install FC/2
>           root (hd0,0)
>           kernel /vmlinuz ramdisk_size=9216
>           initrd /initrd.img
>
>    Booting from this kernel/initrd.img combination puts you into the FC
>    installer, which enables you to specify an installation using an FTP,
>    HTTP, or NFS server.
>
> 3. Once you've made your choice, specify the FTP server/source:
>
>    I used the FC2 repository I created on a server where I work -- you
>    can find one closer to you geographically, from the Fedora website:
>
>    http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
>
>    The installer then finds the files in on that server in
>    /core/2/i386/os/Fedora/base/ (or a similar location) and downloads the
>    stage2.img file, then goes for it!  I chose to upgrade my existing FC1
>    installation, rather than to perform a clean install -- over my ADSL
>    connection (supposedly 1.5Mb/sec), it took two hours to complete -- and
>    it worked perfectly when I pressed "Finish" at the end, to reboot my
>    workstation.

Just a further note here: if you are planning on installing FC2 to
a separate drive or partition and still want to boot into FC1, do not let
Anaconda write a new Grub. Instead, just write your own boot stanza in your
already existing grub.conf to boot into the new FC2 partition. That way you
can preserve your existing grub.conf

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca