Slashdotted - XP dual boot issue

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun May 23 22:12:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 15:47 -0600, Ben Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 13:26, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > > It's more than just a bad attitude.  It's a defeatist attitude.
> >
> > That doesn't make any sense. Leaving Windows isn't giving up on anything
> > but heavy shackles.
>
> Come on. This is just plain silliness.

No. Silly is crying like a baby because FC corrects a malformed
partition table... and Windows borks down.

> Everyone has different tasks they
> are trying to accomplish with their computers. For some people, Windows
> is a necessary part of the equation.

Windows isn't the answer. Windows is the question.
The answer is no! :)

If you want to make a serious case study, you'll see your statement only
makes sense for a very small minority.

> Seriously, we talk about how Open Source Software is not just free as in
> beer, but free as in freedom. That should also mean that if a person
> chooses to dual-boot their system, that they are FREE to do so, despite
> how we may feel about it.

You are confusing things because you're trying to mix freedom with
non-freedom and don't know a heck of what you're talking about.

Think about Free Software -> software which is licensed so users have
   0. the freedom to run the program for any purpose
   1. the freedom to study the program and adapt it for their needs
      (access to source code is a pre-condition)
   2. the freedom to distribute copies
   3. the freedom to publish modified versions
      (access to source code is a pre-condition)

If you choose Free Software, you still have a lot of freedom of choice.
Because when you choose proprietary software, even if moving from one to
another, you're only agreeing to have a master.
A master of your data (only "he" controls your documents), a master of
your computer (NVIDIA's driver imposes MACROVISION on you).

> Maybe we can get the list back to sharing problems and solutions instead
> of pontificating about how this bug in FC2 will lead to it's demise, or
> how we're being "shackled" if we want to dual-boot.

Yes, let's discuss a solution to the bug that's not a bug but must be
treted like a bug because of Windows, who is the one who really has the
bug.

I still say: complain to Microsoft, they're the only one who can help
you. And we can try to move on with the schedule, and hopefully find a
way to work around Microsoft, once again.

Rui