Fedora and SGI 1600SW Monitor

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon May 24 11:21:07 UTC 2004

Marc Mouries wrote:

>> As I recall, those monitors are fixed frequency.
>> I'd suggest booting into single user mode,
>> and editing your xorg.conf with the original values from XF86Config
>

> Thanks your help but i am new to Fedora, can you explain how to:
>
>  - booting into single user mode,
>  - and editing your xorg.conf with the original values from XF86Config
>
> because when i rebooted after the install my screen goes white.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 should bring you to text mode.
Then you can login and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (as superuser).

Xorg has replaced XFree86.
Xorg looks for a config file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf
but if this doesn't exist it looks for /etc/X11/XF86Config .
Your old XF86Config is either still there
(assuming you upgraded) or else has been saved in /etc/X11/
under a slightly different name.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366