my experiences w/ xcdroast on fc2

charles f. zeitler cfzeitler at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 18:31:07 UTC 2004

--- James Wilkinson <james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> charles f. zeitler wrote:
> > it didn't work with my cdr
> > as atapi, so i compiled my
> > kernel (358) with scsi-emulation,
> > scsi cdrom & generic scsi options
> > set.
>
> You would also need to set an option in grub for
> this to work.

the kernel compile inserted this automatically.

> > it still detected my drive as atapi,
> > so (in case the rpm was at fault :} )
> > i compiled xcdroast from tarball.
> >
> > it requested that i perform scsi-emulation!
> > (after the kernel compile!)
>
> The Linux kernel crew prefer the ATAPI interface on
> kernel 2.6 (it
> wasn't an option on 2.4 or previous kernels). The
> author of cdrecord
> prefers his SCSI interface (he says it's more
> portable). Non-Fedora
> specific sources will probably point you to SCSI
> emulation simply
> because the source pre-dates the 2.6 kernel being
> common in Linux
> distributions.

interesting...

> Fedora uses the ATAPI interface.

i have since partially solved the atapi prob-
see "xcdroast atapi mode..." thread.

> What happens if you run
> cdrecord -inq dev=/dev/hdc
> as root, where /dev/hdc is your CD-R/W?

scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
devname: '/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not
supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport
code version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-RH
'@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c        1.80 04/03/08 Copyright
1997 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identifikation : 'RW/DVD GCC-4120B'
Revision       : '2.01'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.

> If you do want to use the scsi emulation, add
> hdc=ide-scsi
> to the end of the appropriate kernel line in
> /etc/grub/grub.conf, where
> hdc is your CD-R/W. For example,
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6 ro root=/dev/hda6 rhgb
> hdc=ide-scsi

yup, it's there... but i haven't tried my scsi kernel
again, after removing the other cd unit (see the other
thread)...

thanks

cfzeitler