MS Access alternative. - compiled BASIC w/db libs avail?

Kevin F. Berrien kblists at comcast.net
Tue May 25 03:54:20 UTC 2004

Just had to jump on this thread.  I've looked high and low for something
to replace Access myself and never found anything detailed enough in
open source to compete.  I think as well, most anything that tries to
emulate Access will come out heavy and bloated as Access is (but benefit
from better data engine).  Makes one want to make web based apps instead.

What I would find nice however, and I haven't seen it in years.  But the
Universe database (now held by IBM I believe) was packaged with a BASIC
lang, and compiler.  You could make really quick code (especially if you
built up libraries) and train someone off the street since it was
Basic.  Nice thin apps, great for dumb terminals, and a 1st class DB in
the backend.

Is there any Open source compiled basic with db libs?  Then, assuming
you don't have to have graphics, you get the ease of BASIC like VB/VBA,
a thin client for terminals/term software, without the Access bloat.