Problem with mounted SMB drive

Steve Brown sbrown at valueline.com
Tue May 25 14:02:33 UTC 2004

I have been mounting a shared Windows (2000 Professional) drive on my
desktop computer onto my notebook computer running Fedora Core as follows:

 mount -t smbfs //89.150.0.197/C ny

This is pretty straightforward.  The shared drive named C is mounted to
a directory named 'ny'.  After entering this command, I enter my
password at the prompt.  This worked great for a long time, but
suddenly, I've been having problems.  The first thing I usually do after
mounting the drive is enter 'ls ny' to verify that the drive is mounted
properly.  But lately, when I do this, nothing happens.  I leave it
sitting a while, but still nothing happens.  If I close the terminal
window, open a new window and try to unmount 'ny', I get a message
telling me that the device is busy.  Actually, this message appears
twice.  If I close the terminal window and mount a drive on a different
computer to a directory named 'nj', it works fine.  I unmount it, then
try to mount the first computer to 'nj' but it still doesn't work.

Something must be wrong with the first computer, but what?  When I use
that computer directly, however, there seems to be nothing wrong with
it.  It seems like something needs to be reset, but what?

Any assistance is appreciated.

--
Steven J. Brown
Value Line, Inc.
sbrown at valueline.com
ny:win2000:mozilla

This transmission contains information intended to be confidential and solely for the use of Value Line, Inc., and those persons or entities to whom it is directed. It is not to be reproduced, retransmitted, or in any other manner distributed. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.