Mail setup: Weird or what?

Bill Smithem fedora-list at smithem.com
Tue May 25 13:45:03 UTC 2004

I've been using what's probably a rather strange mail configuration.
I'd like to update my mail server to FC2 and since I have to redo
everything due to the IMAP server change I wanted to run this past you
all and see if there was a better way to accomplish this (and to see how
off the wall I am for putting it all together this way <g>).

What I wanted was all of my e-mail from all accounts to be spam
filtered, sorted into various incoming mail folders, and have all this,
including my saved mail, be available whether I'm at my desk, using the
wireless notebook, or sitting at my wife's Windoze PC.  This needs to
work with any MUA that supports IMAP.

Set up is:

fetchmail is pulling e-mail for multiple pop3 accounts and depositing it
into my mailbox.

procmail running under a dummy user account is routing all of this
e-mail through spamassassin and sorting it into several categories.  The
dummy user was invented so that the mail files wouldn't be scattered all
over my home directory.

The IMAP server is providing access to the dummy user's mail account
from all the machines on my LAN (some linux boxes and a couple of
Windoze PCs) via various and sundry MUAs.

I'm sure there is a more sensible way to accomplish this, but it wasn't
obvious to me when I set this mess up.  Anyone care to provide any
useful suggestions?

Take care,
Bill