Fedora Core 2 Problems

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Tue May 25 15:36:47 UTC 2004

Wayne Steenburg wrote:

[Snip!]

> Running system-config-mouse and selecting your mouse *should* take care
> of problems 1 and 3.

    *WRONG ANSWER!*  If FC2 were truly ready for general distribution,
this would never have happened.  Failure to detect and configure known
and supported devices during installation is a sign of sloppy testing
and (by implication) a rushed distribution cycle.  Failure to have
drivers for a major video card in time for a release is another.  I see
this pointing up a basic flaw in the philosophy behind the Fedora
Project.  In a completely free (in the "Free Beer" as well as "Free
Speech" sense) environment there is no incentive to compete, and
therefore no reason to strive for excellence.  I would rather pay a few
dollars (as I did until Redhat got greedy) for each upgrade, expecting
that it would work out of the box, and knowing that, if it didn't, I had
someone smarter than I to call.
    I know that Fedora is by design a bleeding edge distribution, but
the impression I have received from this mailing list since the release
last week is that FC2 has hemorrhagic fever.  I upgraded from RH 9 to
FC1 two weeks after release and have not had any problems since.  So far
everything I've read tells me I don't want to touch FC2.
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn