Howto upgrade from FC1 to FC2?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue May 25 15:04:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 17:31, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 04:54:51PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 May 2004, Georg Wittig wrote:
> > > I want to upgrade my workstation from FC1 to FC2. A clean install isn't
> > > an option to me because my FC1 is customized heavily (to re-customize a
> > > cleanly installed FC2 would take days for me), and I'm running apt-get
> > > with a lot of atrpms additions, too.
> > >
> > > The list archives didn't reveal much. So my question is, what's the
> > > simplest way to upgrade in my situation? I don't think upgrading via the
> > > official FC2 isos will work because of all the additional atrpms.
> > > Alternatively, I could install rpm, apt-get, and atrpms for FC2 on FC1
> > > first, and then "apt-get dist-upgrade". Or is this the wrong way?
> >
> > Basically there are three options (not in any particular order as each
> > have their points):
> >
> > a) Upgrade with anaconda, upgrade to FC2-apt from atrpms since that's the
> > repo you're using and run finish the upgrade with "apt-get dist-upgrade",
> > probably with -f to fix any broken dependencies automatically.
> >
> > b) Remove all 3rd party packages, upgrade with anaconda and reinstall 3rd
> > party packages afterwards
> >
> > c) Upgrade directly with apt (or yum). Have a look at the yum upgrade
> > guide for hints what you need to take care of manually in this case,
> > it largely applies to apt as well:
> > http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/fc1-fc2-yum-hints.txt
> > AFAIK atrpms apt doesn't have the necessary magic to upgrade kernels
> > automatically
>
> I hope it will soon have the magic (looking beggingly towards Panu ;)

Mind you the current magic would "just work" for automatic kernel
handling already, regardless of the kernel-module stuff (which is an
entirely different kind of problem).

> > so that's going to cause some extra steps (you'll probably have to
> > first install a new kernel manually). One important point here:
> > before you start the upgrade do
>
> > # echo 'RPM::Order "true";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf
>
> Interesting, why isn't this the default?

It was the default at some point but rpm's own ordering doesn't work
reliably for Conectiva (who use apt-rpm as their main upgrade tool) so
.. you can guess why it defaults to what works better for them :)
My bad it's not the default in current fedora.us packages however, the
default got changed at some point when I wasn't looking apparently.

> > That'll ensure that the packages get upgraded in the order RH intended
> > them to.
>
> If you do upgrade via apt, I would recommend to do an apt-get upgrade
> first and then an apt-get dist-upgrade. My experience with RH9->FC1
> was that some packages would break the dist-upgrade, which were been
> held back with the simple upgrade. So upgrading 95% with "upgrade",
> checking with "dist-upgrade" about the rest, possibly "install"ing
> manually some packages and finishing with "dist-upgrade".
>
> I'd install & boot kernel & glibc with "install" command first, then
> rpm/apt/python/yum next and then start the "upgrade"/"dist-upgrade"
> game.

Well.. it depends - in many cases partial upgrading can get you to some
funky itermediate states with weird results so it's usually better to
sort out dependency problems (eccess removals and held back packages)
first and then proceed with full dist-upgrade. At least that's my
experience :)

	- Panu -