s-ata raid array not shown correct..

Collen Blijenberg <MLHJ> systeembeheer at hermanjordan.nl
Tue May 25 07:22:46 UTC 2004

Well i've seen, and got the following problem/issue
with several RH and FC releases, so i'm wondering what the story is
behind it..

i got a few machines with an S-ata raid controller
(Silcon sil3114 and Promise fasttrak s150 tx4)

and if i use the standard, drivers/modules from the RH distro.
the drives in the array (0, 1 or 0&1) are shown as sepperate drives in
the anaconda/setup from Rh/FC
not the array's i defined in the bios setup from these raid
controllers.

so basicly the whole idea of useing a raid system, get's lost..
now i have an original raid module from promise, and this works fine
(just 1 raid array, as defined in the raid bios)
but now with this new Silcon sil3114, the same problem is back again..
i configed an raid 1 array in the bios, but when i run the setup of
FC2, there were 2 seperate drives again, bye bye raid array...!???

what is this raid problem/issue with linux ??
can somebody explain this to me, or give me some good
hinds/tips where to get an good raid driver/module for my S-ata
sil3114 chip

l8r
Collen Blijenberg (Systeem/Netwerk Beheerder)

Montessori Lyceum
Herman Jordan
Zeist - The Netherlands..