Fedora Core 2 on a Thinkpad X20 - Anyone?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Tue May 25 20:07:02 UTC 2004

I have Fedora Core 1 installed on my Thinkpad X20.  I have hardware 3D
acceleration going (using the mach64 DRI drivers downloaded from the DRI
homepage), my Lucent winmodem working(ltmodem drivers), and my onboard
Intel ethernet going.  Sound and everything else works without problems.

Has anyone tried to use Fedora Core 2 on a similar Thinkpad?  Does Fedora
Core 2 ship with the DRI modules for the Mach64 chips (Rage Mobility P/M,
to be specific - not a Radeon)?  If not, do the snapshots at
http://www.freedesktop.org/~dri/snapshots/ work, or has anyone built the
modules?

Does the ltmodem driver work with FC2?  I
had to tweak the makefiles to get the driver to compile under FC1, but it
did eventually work.

How about sound for a Crystal CS4281?  I currently
use the OSS drivers but was wondering if anyone's had trouble getting ALSA
working on a similar card?

I also currently use APM (suspend,
Thinklight, volume controls, etc.)- does APM still work with Fedora Core
2?

I'd like to try out the new Gnome/etc. in Fedora Core 2, but not if it
means that my main work machine will end up as a paperweight. :)

Machine specs:
Thinkpad X20
Graphics: ATI Rage Mobility P/M (800x600 LCD panel)
Sound: Crystal CS4281
Modem:  Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem (rev 1)
Ethernet: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
Processor: Celeron 500 MHz
RAM: 320M
HD: Hitachi Travelstar HTS548040M9AT0 (40GB/5400 RPM)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!