Anyone recompiled kernel/modules for x86_64?

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Tue May 25 21:30:33 UTC 2004

On May 25, 2004 03:15 pm, Ken Johanson <fedora at kensystem.com> wrote:
> Heres the quick answer/solution when odd modules problems (usually
> caused by previous compiles with varied/buggy modules-source) like I
> described occur:
>
> Instead of running `make clean`, run `make mrproper`. THEN copy the last
> config file to the build directory.
>
> cd /usr/src/linux<vers>
> make mrproper
> cp /boot/config-2.6.5-1 /usr/src/linux/.config
> make oldconfig
> make modules
> make modules_install
> /sbin/mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.5-1.358custom.img 2.6.5-1.358custom
> make bzImage
> cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358custom

You should always build the new kernel image before making the modules.
Sometimes it will work the other way around but not always

proper order for 2.6.6
make mrproper or clean*
make oldconfig
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install*

* should not be need if you are using freshly unzipped kernel source from
kernel.org. RedHat Source packages sometimes need mrproper to be run.

* note make install is based on a distro specific script you may need to do
this by hand sometimes. To do copy bzImage to proper location and make new
initrd.

Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--