SATA Silicon Image Speed Issue

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Wed May 26 23:52:18 UTC 2004

On May 26, 2004 02:58 pm, Si Jones <si at bananas.hopto.org> wrote:
> >Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:02:45 -0500
> >From: Randy Kelsoe <randykel at swbell.net>
> >Subject: Re: SATA Silicon Image Speed Issue
> >To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> >
> >Si Jones wrote:
> >>When looking at the logs the driver seems to show that UDMA133 is max
> >>and the drive is configured to UDMA100.
> >>
> >>Am wondering why? under windows the drive shows as UDMA6 Mode /
>
> UDMA150
>
> >>so was wondering does anyone know how to get the driver to change
>
> mode,
>
> >>also native command queueing should be available but am unsure how to
> >>check this.... anyone any good with this?
> >
> >Are you running FC1 or FC2? With FC1 and a 2.4 kernel, the driver is
> >PATA and not SATA, so the drive will look like an ATA100. I'm not
> >running FC2, yet, so I don't know if libata for the SATA drives is
> >working, or set up.
>
> Am running FC2, kernel 2.6.6 and had the same issues on kernel 2.6.5, it
> is libata in the kernel and works fine but as said there seems to be
> very relaxed performance. Am not saying it is bad, but belive it could
> be better.

I just ran bonnie++ on my VIA chipset SATA controller (Athlon64 K8T800
Chipset) using the VIA driver (not libata) and I only got 54,000 KBps Read
and Write. (54,000/1024 ~ 52.73 MBps) The drive does not appear to run slowly
at all and those numbers are really good actually.

The write is faster than I was getting on that Raid 5 I tested on the SIL3114
though that isn't surprising because no checksum data is being calculated.
I probably should have manually set the block size as it seems a little
inflated.
Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--