FC2 Dell latitude cpx laptop

Norman Gaywood norm at turing.une.edu.au
Thu May 27 02:33:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:12:58PM -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 20:45, William Hooper wrote:
> > > First issue was the startup order for the pcmcia services.  Needed to
> > > put those before the network startup since I only have network access
> > > via the pcmcia slots on this machine.
> >
> > Didn't have this problem with my CPx.  Just don't have the NIC set to
> > start on boot and you won't get any errors.
> >
> Does that keep things like nptd from failing also?  Would think network
> services are needed for that at least.

So make sure that pcmcia comes up before ntpd.

I think the trick is to set the network device not to start on boot. So
the network start will not try to start it.

However, when pcmcia starts up, it will detect the network card and
start the device anyway. It does not know that this a "start on boot".

The "start on boot" option is more accurately described as "start device
when network service is started".

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science

norm at turing.une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://turing.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312