FC2 ate my console beep

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu May 27 20:00:08 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Do, den 27.05.2004 schrieb Bill Pemberton um 21:37:
>

>>I just upgraded my desktop to FC2 and ran into a minor (but bothersome
>>to me) problem.  I no longer get any beep through the PC speaker.
>>I've checked for a change in the termcap and such, but I don't see
>>anything.  Has something configured this to be off now?
>>

>modprobe pcspkr
>
>Alexander

Has any decision been made how this will be permanently accommodated?

I've taken to adding it into the entry in /etc/modprobe.conf that loads
your alsa driver, but others may want a way to make the pc speaker work
and don't have a sound card. Besides telling new Linux users to
"modprobe pcspkr" as root every time they boot or edit a startup file to
make their beep work is less than ideal.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021