KDE apps and running as root

Rory Gleeson rory at childwelfare.ca
Fri May 28 12:32:04 UTC 2004

I have an interesting problem.  Couldn't find it in Bugzilla
characterized in this way.

When I run Kmail it always crashes after a couple of seconds being
opened with a Signal 11.  In Kmail, Konqueror and Kopete, the icons in
the toolbar don't show.

HOWEVER, if I run all three apps from terminal in *root*, everything
works perfectly.  Kmail opens up and won't crash.  All the icons in the
toolsbar show.  So, on install, something probably happened with the
permissions, I'm thinking.  However, I've done straight installs, so I'm
wondering if FC2 is settings something incorrectly with KDE apps.

Thoughts or ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks,
Rory