SFTP slow

Doug Brott brott at redh.com
Fri May 28 17:53:56 UTC 2004

Alessandro De Maria wrote:

> Really slow means 5-6 minutes to move an 4 MB file from one computer
> to the other...
> I used t o do it before and it used to take few seconds...
> Computer are two Athlon XP 1600+/XP 2000

I'm not sure that this solution is actually right for your case, but it
sounds similiar to a problem that I was having regarding network
performance to the Internet from my machine.  The following information
was posted already, but it might be helpful for you here as well.

If you are experiencing SLOW network access, it could be due to the fact
that you are running IPv6.
An easy way to disable this is to modify /etc/modprobe.conf to include
the following line:

alias net-pf-10 off

You will need to reboot, but it solved the problem for me.  I have
Comcast cable Internet, and prior to upgrade to FC2, I was seeing >
3Mb/s download rates.  After the upgrade to FC2, I was seeing around
1.2Mb/s download rates.  Obviously, this was unacceptable.

Turns out IPv6 was enabled in my configuration and the added line to the
modprobe.conf file fixed my network speed issues.  By disabling IPv6, I
was able to get back to what I expected to be the true bandwidth.

Hopefully this note will help othere who may experience the same problems.

Regards.

--
Doug Brott
brott at redh.com