automatical execution of a program on a startup

Christian Ullrich chu-news at inode.at
Sat May 29 09:39:13 UTC 2004

Tomek Kabarowski schrieb:

>I also created symbolic links to it in every /etc/rc.d/rc[0-6].d/
>directory...
>
>[tk at acer rc0.d]$ ls -l K15slmodemd
>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 18 maj 28 18:10 K15slmodemd ->../init.d/slmodemd
>
>...actually I don't know what are this 'K' or 'S' on the beginning mean
>:(, but I created only 'K' one as it is for httpd. I also don't know if
>'15' number is somehow significant.

>What do I do wrong? How should I make my system execute some code on a
>startup?

Hi,

K means stop (kill?), S start. The numbers behind K and S are the
priority, e.g. the order in which the services for this particular
runlevel are stopped/started.

Take a look at chkconfig(8) - this prog makes all the symlinks to the
different /etc/rc.d/rc[0-6].d/ for you.
Maybee a short look at init(8) gives you some further explanation about
the different runlevels.

But I am not really shure, if it is really nice, to put a modem daemon
as a service there - maybee it would be better to link it somehow to the
network scripts, so it gets started by the service 'network'. Anyhow, i
realized my xdsl connection for now as system service with the following
line in the xdsl script

# chkconfig: 35 23 18

and chkconfig.
(xdsl is started in runlevels 3 and 5, start priority is 23, stop
priority is 18).

Christian