using libmilter, milter-spamc and spamassasin

John Walsh dear_grommet at hotmail.com
Sat May 29 15:49:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

My intension is to get spamassasin to process ALL the emails that pass
through my sendmail,
even those forwarded on to external email addresses through
/etc/mail/virtusertable...

IF YOU HAVE AN ANSWER AT THIS POINT, PLEASE JUMP IN AND TELL ME WHAT TO LOOK
AT.

Otherwise...

I have sendmail working fine, a large virtusertable working fine, aliases
working fine, ...

I don't currently use procmail, and don't think I want to. All my email goes
into /var/spool/mail/*

After much web searching, I found out that the normal use of spamassasin is
through procmail,
but I don't want to use this method because it would miss out all my
virtusertable forwarding.

After a bit more web searching, I found:

http://www.snert.com/Software/milter-spamc/

which looks like it is exactly what I want - although it does not state if
its processing happens
before or after virtusertable is applied ?

BUT, to use this milter-spamc, I need sendmail to be configured with the
Milter API enabled,
and to build libmilter too.

So my question(s) are:

1) is sendmail with FC1.0 compiled with the Milter API enabled ?

2) if not, is there anything I need to consider in downloading the source
and installing from
that - other than following the normal instructions ?

3) has anyone else used libmilter in FC1.0 - and any issues ?

4) does the Milter API process emails before or after
/etc/mail/virtusertable ?

5) has anyone also used milter-spamc - and any issues ?

6) if there is a bigger advantage to using procmail (inplace of aliases and
virtusertable), then
please let me know so I can switch to this method.

Thanks,
John.

ps. if Fedora sendmail is not configured with the Milter API enabled -
please can it be ?
As it is supplied without the source (I believe), would it be better to have
this feature
enabled by default ?

Get a FREE connection, FREE modem and one month's FREE line rental, plus a
US or European flight when you sign up for BT Broadband!