FC2--can't get SMB share from nautilus

Don Campbell donaldtcampbell at charter.net
Sat May 29 15:57:51 UTC 2004

Yup. Got there after several missteps.

I had gotten close many times. First, I had started with "smb:///"
and gotten the computer's listed. I put smb:///SMITH/SMITH-D for
the name of the computer and share because "SMITH" is how the
computer is listed in the workgroup listing. Putting 2 slashes
in gets the same error.

The share when listed by Win98 until the listing is made all lower case.
(under Win4Lin) is "Smith/Smith-D".  Putting "smb://Smith/Smith-D"
fails as before. What worked finally is "smb://smith/smith-d"

OK, *nix is case sensitive but if nautilus wants to be fussy about
case sensitivity it probably shouldn't change the cases in the
process.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I think the mystery is solved
and is due to nautilus bugginess/quirkiness rather than a
misunderstanding about setting up samba.

Don