fc2 will not install to sata

Linux linux at herbasource.com
Sat May 29 17:43:59 UTC 2004

> On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 17:18, Linux wrote:
> > Subject: Re: fc2 will not install to sata

> > from
> > <alt
> > the

> > sata
> > >
> > > The manual certainly implies that there is a protected boot block so
> > > that, even with a corrupted BIOS EEPROM, you should be able to boot
the
> > > CD loader and get the original bios from the CD.  Since your original
> > > flash attempt didn't work, and apparently your further attempts at
this
> > > procedure don't either, I would suspect that there is something
> > > seriously amiss on the MB and it needs to be RMAed.  I've flashed my
K8V
> > > from 1002 to 1004 to 1005 without any problems...although I admit I've
> > > crossed my fingers, eyes and anything else handy whilst doing so.
> > >
> > > I would prolly clear CMOS (including removing the battery just to be
> > > absolutely sure) to make certain you didn't have something there that
> > > the loader was looking at that confused it...shouldn't be looking that
> > > early but BIOS is a black art...and they generally get it
wrong...after
> > > 5 attempts they still can't get BIOS to read my DIMMs SPD correctly.
> > >
> > > KAS
> > >
> > Hi Kas
> >
> > What is "protected boot block" and what is RMAed? excuse the ignorance
> >
> > You say I should still be able to but there is no drive to the screen
and no
> > attempt to even read the bios etc.
> > Do you think that flashing the bios could damage a mb? I would not have
> > thought so, it is 5 days old with all components same age. It worked
fine
> > until I flashed it.
> >
> > I tried clearing CMOS, removing battery, removing all power including
power
> > cables to board just to be sure that it cleared but it remains dead and
no
> > attempt to read bios or drives, I must say I have flashed a few before
but
> > never had one go dead on me.
> > I saved the existing bios to floppy and have the cd but they are no good
if
> > I cant get it to read from them.
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> Tha same happened to me blank screen, no boot, nothing. (when going from
> 1006->1007)
>

> I put the original CD-ROM that came with the MB (inside there is a file
> called k8v.rom or something alike) in the cd-rom unit and powered on
> _while pressing_ ALT-F2, after a while (30 second maybe or more!) I
> could see that it was reflashing from CD.
>
> Y reflashed again to 1007 using 1005.exe from asus download area.

I tried that (alt f2 and then powering on) I can not hear the dvd spinning
up as normal but the read led flashes for a while then switches off and the
system stays dead.

You mention 1005 1006 1007 but the only files I can find on the asus web
site is a kv8b1003.zip which has a K8VB.ami file which the manual says you
must rename K8VB.ROM before using with the EZ flash utility. Were are you
downloading these files from?

Jeff