FC2: firefox won't run after installing search and mouse plugins

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon May 31 02:03:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:44:19 -0700 (PDT), Frank Rehwinkel wrote:

> But it won't start.  The symptom, when typing firefox
> in a shell, is that after a few seconds, it ends.
> Nothing writen to stdout or stderr.  Nothing pops up.
> No new process created.  If I try to start it from the
> gnome panel, a see a "Starting Web browser" window
> being created, but after a few seconds it disappears.
>
> I've uninstalled firefox, and reinstalled it, to no
> avail.  I searched for a ~/.firefox directory.  One
> didn't exist.  I've moved the ~/.mozilla directory out
> of the way and the ~/.phoenix directory out of the
> way, still no good.  I uninstalled firefox again, and
> moved the /usr/lib/firefox directory out of the way.
> And reinstalled firefox.  Still no good.  I moved
> /usr/lib/mozilla out of the way, and still firefox
> just returns immediately.
>
> I have not tried rebooting, but as this isn't Windows,
> I wouldn't expect that to help.

Well, if lock files are involved and you can't seem to track them down,
rebooting is a quick way to fix that.

Just to add an additional test, have you tried starting firefox in a
fresh user account?

If that doesn't work either, repeat your removal/reinstallation
attempts. But before doing so, enter run-level 1 and make sure you
really kill any firefox processes and remove /usr/lib/firefox* before
you re-install something. [Yes, I saw that you had tried that already,
try again ;)]. Also try removing everything from /tmp, which might be a
source of errors.

I encountered a similar while reviewing firefox 0.8 packages recently. At
one point the only way I could reproduce the symptom was when I forgot
to remove /usr/lib/firefox prior to upgrading firefox.