200 GB Maxtor drive (48bit LBA) ?

K. Spearel kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon May 31 16:32:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 07:28, Paul Reilly wrote:
> > Is your drive sata?
> >
> No, it is IDE.
>
> > if so I have a Maxtor 200gb SATA hd on a Asus K8V mb
> > with 3200 amd64 cpu and can not get FC2 to install to it period, even though
> > it see the drive and it full size.
> >
> Interesting.
> Does the AMD64 get very hot?
>
> Do you see full size in BIOS, or in the Linux installer DiskDruid ?
>
> > FC1 installed fine to this drive
>
> I think it's FC2 is the problem.
> The kernel probably doesn't support LBA48 which is needed to see
> drives larger than 130 GB
>
> Paul

FC2 sees both of the PATA 200 GB Maxtors (6Y200P0) on one of my Athlon
systems fine...it was partitioned manually using diskdruid although it
borked the XP installation on another drive as widely mentioned
here,,,changing to manual selection and LBA in bios for the boot drive
cured that problem.

Fdisk reports 203.9 GB, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24792 cylinders and
properly shows the 7 partitions on one drive and shows a yet to be nuked
199 GB HPFS/NTFS on the other.  Bios reports 203 GB, 65535 cylinders, 16
heads and 255 sectors.  These are hdb and hdc on this system...Grub is
installed on the MBR of hda.

On another system, my 3200+ is running at 37C idling, about 6C above
ambient inside the case.  It does have a Zalman CNPS7000 HSF on it
though.  Under heavy load I have seen it up to 44C using
gkrellm/lm_sensors.

KAS