nvidia - kernel (2.6.6) compile causes fc2 to crash

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Mon May 31 20:57:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 09:58:57PM +0200, Christian Schlaefcke wrote:
> I already tried compiling without x. The machine just locks, no kernel
> panic or segfault. Shit, please don´t let it be a hardware issue :-(
> I would expect the machine to crash every now and then, but anything is
> running quite fine. Sounds strange.
>
> Any ideas how to find out what exactly could cause this?

Compiling a large project (like the kernel) stresses the processor and
memory subsystem.

So it could be that your system is overheating (processor case), or that
it hits a corrupted memory page (memory case).

For testing the memory you have memtest86/memtest86+ that already comes in
Fedora Core install cds. (Although I doubt that's the problem. I'd expect
some SIGSEGVs first.)

For the processor case, start compiling the kernel and keep checking the
system's temperature (via ACPI or lm_sensors).

Regards,
Luciano Rocha