Friends afraid of Linux?

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 1 17:20:16 UTC 2004

Robin Laing wrote:
> Brian Chase wrote:
>
>> I've tried alot of distro's, and my favorite by far for desktop
>> distro's for newbies would be Mepis Linux, check it out, it's like
>> Knoppix, but even easier to install to hard drive and more GUI
>> administration tools.
>

> I read a review this morning and this distro is supposed to install as
> well if you wish to.

 From the "Funny you should mention" dep't:

I also read, ran and *attempted* to install. I tried both the 2.6.x and
2.4.x options. Neither installed GRUB correctly with a net result of a
Win98 partition that still boots and a wiped out FC3RC2 installation.
This was obviously on a machine that I can easily reload.
The only reason I tried to install it is that the Live CD does, indeed,
look nice. (It couldn't detect the Soundblaster SBAWE 64 in that machine
but neither can FC3, FC2, FC1, RH7.3 or RH7.2.  Works great in Knoppix,
just as it did in RH6.0)

The best thing about the fiasco is that FC3RC2 installs just fine from
here via NFS if booted with: "linux vnc askmethod".

> Dual boot is an option.  I don't have any use for Windows so I don't
> think about it.
>
> Anybody know of a Windows that runs on a CD/DVD just in case?

ROTFLMAO!  Can't you just see a shiny new Dell machine with WinXP burned
into the plastic side panel?