Firewall and NAT

Leonard Isham leonard.isham at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 18:55:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 18:48:35 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 18:38, Leonard Isham wrote:

> > > Whilst this doesn't answer your question, is there any particular reason you
> > > didn't just open port 587 in your firewall and use the MSA, which sendmail
> > > runs by default for this very purpose?
> > >
> > > Paul.
> >
> > As for why not run MSA?
> >
> > "MSA port should be limited to internal hosts (e.g., firewalled from
> > external world)"
> >  - http://www.sendmail.org/~gshapiro/8.10.Training/MSA.html
> >
> > I presum the issue is an issue with sending mail.  Why not configure
> > the e-mail client to send e-mail via the local ISP?
>
> Because that way a roaming user would have to reconfigure their mail
> software every time there were in a different place, with a different
> ISP. RFC 2476 on Message Submission cites "Implement authenticated
> submission, including off-site submission by authorized users such as
> travelers" as one of its motivations. Since the MSA is not significantly
> different in functionality to the MTA, I really don't see any reason why
> it should be firewalled off.
>
> Paul.
> --
>

> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>

I suspect that these are the reasons sendmail.org recommends firewalling MSA:

Meant to be less strict on standards compliance
    * Addresses don't have to be fully qualified
    * Hostnames don't have to be fully qualified
    * Don't require "required" headers, e.g. Message-ID: and Date:

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.